Things To Consider Before Building Your New Home, Part 1
You’ve decided to take the leap and get started with building your own home. What are some things to consider before the building starts, when you’re still in the planning phases? Here are some initial thoughts when it comes to closets & organization, bathrooms, outdoor living spaces, and kitchens.
- Is your closet going to have any outlets?
- Will your closet have both double-hung and single rods to accommodate different clothing?
- Do you have a large enough storage space / broom cupboard to hide away all the cleaning supplies, but convenient enough to still get to easily for clean-ups?
- Do you have more than enough closet/storage space built in?
- Do you want a motion sensor in the pantry, closets, or bathrooms?
- Can you have a dedicated night light outlet in the master bath?
- Do you want heated towel racks?
- Do you want heated floors?
- Do you have enough outdoor outlets?
- Do you want to prewire speakers indoor/outdoor?
- Do you want hot/cold outdoor water faucets? (Think about washing off pets or dirty feet!)
- Do you want any motion sensors installed on outdoor lights?
- Do you want a keypad entry option on your garage door?
- Do you want a gas line to your grill?
- Do you want a full outdoor kitchen for your outdoor living space?
- Do you want outlets in the pantry or inside of any cabinets? (Think about charging stations or for any accessories/appliances that may end up “living” in that space.)
- Do you want cabinets on both sides of your island? They’re great for extra storage.
- Do you want any custom storage organization in your drawers or cabinets?
- Do you want a pull-out bin for trash cans? Recycling? Laundry (think towels or bibs!)?
- Do you want an appliance garage?
- Do you want any spots to hang towels or aprons?
Next week we’re going to tackle Electrical/Plumbing, Lighting, Bedrooms, Holidays Preparedness, HVAC, & some additional thoughts…