Questions To Ask Before Hiring Your Contractors
Our comprehensive home-building program is very unique. Because our clients operate as their own General Contractors in their home-building adventure, we have put together a quick guide on what you can and should ask various contractors you hire on to help with the tasks you do not want to tackle yourself.
Choosing a contractor to work on your home can bring a whole set of issues and anxieties into building your own home; but with these tips, hopefully, some of that will be alleviated. Remember, you will be seeing a lot of these contractors you hire, so making sure they are a good fit up front is an absolute must! Before considering hiring a contractor to assist in your home renovation or project, consider asking these helpful questions:
- How long have you been doing this type of work? As a general rule of thumb, it is good if they have been in business for more than a few years. The longer, the better. Of course, it is best if they have been doing this type of work for the majority of those years, too!
- How long have you been working locally?
- Have you ever done business under a different name? This will help red-flag an untrustworthy contractor.
- Is my project the kind you like to do? If they like to focus on commercial projects over residential ones, for example, you may want to keep looking.
- Are you licensed and insured?
- Do you belong to any professional organizations? If so, which ones?
- Do you have references from other homeowners of previous projects?
- How often have you finished projects in the anticipated time?
- How have you handled incomplete projects in the past?
- How big a team do you work with? How are they supervised on-site? Are they subcontractors of yours or employees? Who from your company will be at my home every day?
- How many projects do you work on simultaneously?
- Can you give me a timeline for my project? How do you handle scheduling?
- What sort of communication can I expect during your part of this project? How quickly will you return phone calls or emails to me?
- What guarantees do you offer? Do you obtain all the required approvals for your part of the project?
- What is the expected payment schedule?
- What is your work routine like?
- How do you handle it when you run into something unexpected?
- How do you handle the waste materials clean-up on your projects?
- What sort of after-service support do you provide? What follow-up can I expect? What is your process for fixing things after the project is complete and we have moved onto other pieces or have moved into the home?
After you have asked the questions from this list that you deem most important or sense any hesitation about, make sure you ask this one: Can I get that in writing? This is crucial for all timelines, payment discussions, and guarantees.
At Homestead Homes, we have been helping people design and build their dream homes since 1995. We provide you with a road map and let you make all the decisions from there. We are currently building throughout the Midwest in Colorado, South Dakota, Nebraska, & Iowa. We would love to help you today in achieving your dream home. Contact us for more information!