Building Green: HERS rating and the Energy Star guildelines
Building Green means efficient use of energy. One of the best ways we know how is to build a home using the Energy Star guidelines, insulation and materials:
• R-21 Exterior wall insulation
• R-50 Attic insulation
• R-13 Basement wall insulation
• High performance windows & doors: Double pane Low E Gerkin windows with an air infiltration rating of .06cfm/ft. & ThermaTru steel insulated doors.
• Carefully calculated heating & cooling equipment requirements to maximize energy savings.
• Tight construction with all exterior penetrations sealed to eliminate unnecessary air infiltration.
We believe in the Energy Star Certification. Our insulation and materials ensure an Energy Star home. Your home will be inspected and tested by a HERS Energy Rater and an Energy Star Certification will be provided upon completion. Our model has a 5 Star Plus rating. Build Green!
A Homestead Home's confirmed HERS rating of 36 in rural Tecumseh, Nebraska .....(we didn't know a number that low was attainable). The lower the HERS number is better...it indicates that this particular home was built 64% more efficient than a typical new home. Thanks to careful insulating and proper caulking along with an appropriately sized furnace and A/C and of course Homestead's very best energy efficient windows and doors. Congratulations to this family who Built their Own Home and saved and will continue to save on their energy bills.